Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rupp Arena, Lexington



The Teams
My dad always watched UK basketball games when I was a kid. I think if you live in Kentucky, you grow up watching games a lot. You grow to love this team. You have no doubt that there is a college basketball conspiracy involving referees who hate UK (I was at a game the other night- I watch the refs make call after call against the Cats, while totally cutting the bad guys all the slack in the world!). Oh, and the mention of a certain former Duke player makes you sick to your stomach! In fact, writing that last sentence makes me a little squimish.Also, I really followed the team when Pitino was coaching. I got spoiled. Those late 90s teams dominated. When I was younger, the thought of actually going to a game at Rupp was mythic. Now, my boss has let me use her season tickets many times she has not been able to go (I know, you don't care.... I guess I am just bragging with that last sentence). I wasn't in the area when they had the hockey teams there. I hear it was a lot of fun though. I have attended several Horsemen indoor football games too. This is fun, but it is a totally different experience from seeing a basketball game there. The Horsemen put on a good show. It is a loud, rowdy event. Arena football is fast paced, fun and aggressive. I think I saw trash talking going on between players at every game. They have cheerleaders and a half time show. Unlike a UK basketball game, tickets are always available for indoor football, and it is easy to get seats within the 1st few rows. The upper bleacher seats (almost half of Rupp AND the section where my basketball tickets are) is curtained off during Horsemen games. The team has been available for autographs after the game, and fans can actually go down on the Rupp floor to get them after games.

History
Rupp has been around since 76. There has been talk of opening a new arena, but this would be sad. The rumor is only about 500 more seats would be added. Even in the no-back bleacher seats I have, its great fun being there. There is history. There is a good crowd. I guess I might not mind a new stadium if there were a lot more seats available. I wouldn't mind having better ticket access to basketball games.

The Venue
Rupp is a true point of pride for Lexington. Its a fun place too. Rupp is connected by walkways to many of the downtown businesses. In some ways, it reminds me a lot of downtown Indianapolis. You can access a lot without having to walk outside, which is nice on a cold winter evening.
There are a lot of mall shops connected to the stadium too. The Hyatt is conected to the arena. If you are staying there, you can walk out of your room, and be in the stadium within a few minutes, never walking outside to get there.

The area
As mentioned, there are many unique shops connected by walkways to the arena. Some of the walkways take a little while to learn. Some of the local favorites, like De Sha's and Sawyers can get VERY crowded right before a game. They are worth the stop though. They are a block from Rupp, but they can be accessed through the walkway. Joe Bolognia's is a short drive. A former church and Jewish synagogue now houses the best pizza around. Seriously, all of our out of town friends love this place. For food, Joe B's and De Sha's are the two winners. Joe B's has a buffalo chicken pizza that is addictive. Get the big breadstick too. De Sha's coconut chicken is worth the trip too. A burger at Sawyers might be enough for 2 people.

Why go
Security at Rupp is flawless. The traffic cops outside are tough, but thats fine with me. They keep things moving, and keep things orderly. Also, security is great in the arena. Once, I was standing in the lobby talking to a friend. Near by, security came over, grabbed a guy and quickly took him out of the arena. I don't know what he did, but security was so quick and stealthy about it, my friend didn't even notice. I barely noticed myself. I feel very safe inside and outside of Rupp Arena during events. Also, Lexingonians may not realize how easy it is to get in and out of Rupp Arena, even during major events, compared to other towns. I have been to concert and sporting events in other bigger cities where crowd control doesn't occur. On the way out of an event, the flow of human traffic just stops, and thousands of people are all pushed together for some unknown delay ahead. There is no flow of traffic out of the parking lot, so you have to wait in your car a couple of hours. The parking lot next to Rupp empties out pretty easy in half an hour, 45 minutes after the game.
There is a good vibe here during any sporting event. The crowds are always on. Also, I would describe the crowds as mature in general. The stranger setting next to you will yell and scream at the refs (and they deserve it) and then they will turn and talk to you just like they have known you forever. It's Kentucky, and this is Rupp. Fans are friendly.
The friendly fan atmosphere occurs at other events too. I had to wait for a friend at the mall connected to Rupp before a country music concert. People were cool, calm and just having good time before their show. Even if you don't have tickets for the event going on, Rupp is a good place to be before an event for the vibe.

Why not go
Getting tickets to a Cats game can be tough, and pricey.
Some older fans I have talked to who have been to Horsemen's games say they won't go back because it is too loud. The Horsemen have a pretty obnoxious announcer too, but he grows on you. It is loud though, but I wouldn't let that keep me away.

No comments: