Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Pittsburgh, PA


I must admit that the first time I went to Pittsburgh, well over 10 years ago, I didn't think much of it. I thought it was OK, but it seemed big and chaotic. I may have lumped it in to the same category I would lump any other big city.
It seemed rough. Driving there was hard. Streets seemed to split, going in two different directions, with no signs telling you which way you should go.
In defense of anyone who does not like Pittsburgh, the roads are still chaotic, but the city has grown on me.
I don't think it is my attitude about Pittsburgh that has changed. I think the city has changed. I think those that live there are taking more pride in their city. I think the image of the city has improved nationally too.
I won't mention how the team can be proud of their football team (who one ANOTHER Super Bowl last night). I know we were in the area when they won Super Bowl XL, and this town seemed proud of itself. Not smug, but the place had a happy, "we know we are a nice town" feel to it.
The place has a lot going for it. The football and baseball stadiums are right next door. They share parking areas. I know getting downtown and parking for a baseball game is relatively simple. The streets and businesses are festive.
PNC Park, where the Pirates play, has the most gorgeous skyline view of any city, anywhere. Its a friendly, relaxing park. The seats are spread out and comfortable.
There are many bars and concert venues here too.
The South Side is a real happenin' area. Every town has an area like the South Side. I think mostly locals know about it. It is the cool area with music shops, novelty type stores, unique restaurants, etc. A GREAT music venue down here is Club Cafe. I once saw my favorite folk duo John & Mary play with several local acts, including another great local (by way of Ireland) Mark Dignam. Pretty much 4 hours of non-stop music, my wife and I had desert and coffee, I bought 2 CDs from the performers, and we experienced a great night of music! Here is the really cool part, we spent less than $50 that night! You can't buy 1 rafter ticket to see the big name stadium act coming through town for that. PLUS, we were able to chat with the acts, and it was all in a small (maybe 1-200 person capacity) club.
For any fan of horror flicks, Pittsburgh is a bit of a pilgrimage. The original "Dawn of the Dead" was filmed at the Monroeville Mall here in town (there is a comic book convention hosted right next door about every year). "Day of the Dead", "Silence of the Lambs", and "Night of the Living Dead" all have connections to Pittsburgh.
It's been a while since I went to the Murray area, but they do have "Jerry's Records". In the past, I have found all sorts of cool old vinyl here. I think Jerry's might be the only place left anywhere where you can scavenge through old records. Jerry's has survived CDs and other new forms of media, and it is just fun browsing here.
I could go on and on about Pittsburgh. This is a fun, happening town with many fun areas to visit.
Its not even in a state that boarders Kentucky, but, it could be done as a 3-4 day weekend trip pretty easily for anyone in the northern Kentucky area.

No comments: