Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, February 20, 2009

pro sports teams in Kentucky

Several years ago, my friend Nate from Cincy insisted that we get together and go to a Columbus Clippers game. After going to some major sporting events in the Cleveland area, I was a little hesitant. I reluctantly went after much persistence.
It was a great experience. We quickly realized that this was different from attending a major sporting event. The crowd was smaller, and it was a lot easier to get close to the action.
I love going to sporting events in this area. I especially love minor league and independent sports. There is something really fun about Minor League baseball and seeing guys that might make it to the highest level possible.
I also love the independent leagues. Most of the guys playing were let go by affiliated teams, or they weren't drafted. This is their last shot at making it. These guys aren't making much money either. Some stay with host families, and they very probably have off season jobs. Some of these players have been associated, in some way, with more significant teams, but that link is no more.
Outside of my favorite sport, baseball, I really enjoyed going to see the Kentucky Horsemen last year. I attended over half of their home games. This is a great dollar value in Lexington, and its just a lot of fun. Its another one of those things, however, where I ask myself why aren't there more people at the games. Its a lot of fun. NFL alum Craig Yeast was with the team last year. This year, they Jared Lorenzen! The guy owns a Super Bowl ring!
Louisville had an Arena 2 team last year too, and they were very successful, but it seems that team has folded, which is really sad. They were drawing good crowds, and had a good record.
I am glad the Lexington team is still around.
I have not been able to get down to Owensboro to see the Kentucky Bison yet. I know the season is almost over, but I am still hoping to catch a game. They have a former Globetrotter as their manager, and a former UK player! At the moment, they are dominating! I really hope Owensboro realizes how cool it is to have this team.
Evansville Indiana has had the Frontier League baseball team the Otters for a long time now. They have recently become the home of a pro hockey team. I am not a hockey fan, but I am hoping this team makes it too. I was reading that they made pro hockey history lately when their goalie, Kira Hurley, became the 1st female pro hockey player to score a point. How cool is that?
Anyway, this area is bursting with some great sports teams. Take the family, you can afford it. I am sure the team owners and players will appreciate the support.

No comments: