Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Executive Inn, Owensboro KY. implosion


WOW! I have just caught up on reading about the destruction of this Owensboro landmark earlier this month.

I have my own personal memories of the place, mostly centered around catching classic rock acts in concert there. I saw Foreigner, 38 Special, Canned Heat, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, and others there. I recall one very novel show with "the Byrds" opening for Survivor. Actually, I believe it was one of the Byrds drummers with a bunch of young guys using the name. It was a fun show. I remember Foreigner, Kansas and the Fabulous Thunderbirds all sounding great at the Big E.

I remember my cousin working there, doing sound and light stuff for shows. He lurked around that place for a long time, becoming a bit of a fixture.

I remember going there when I was young. My family would eat at the restaurant there. The place seemed endless, with hallways full of rooms leading to more hallways.

It seems like it was just a few months ago that they suddenly closed it up. You heard rumors about what was to become of it.

I will try to get a few pictures I took up soon. My friend Karen Owen-Phelps has done a great job of covering the implosion. Check out her articles at the Evansville Courier & Press site:
http://btop.courierpress.com/staff/karen-owen-phelps/

Check out Karen's other articles too. There is a fun article about paranormal research groups in the area.

No comments: