Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

BOOK: Mammoth Cave and the Kentucky Cave Region

This is another fun "Images of America" book that is easy to reading in one sitting. In fact, I would almost consider this a fun picture book, with some interesting facts added.

I appreciate this series of books, they usually offer a good intro to a topic, and they give the most significant points to a topic.

Personally, I like a little more info in general. I like a detailed history.

Then again, sometimes you read a book, and you feel overwhelmed with facts, figures, stats, and technical information.

This book gave a great overview of the main facts of the cave and area. The cave wars, Floyd Collins, tourism, and mummies found in the cave are all covered here. If you know all about those facts of the cave don't worry. There are some photos here you have likely not seen before.

I learned some stuff too. I was totally unaware that some of the early tour guides might give signed postcards to those on the tour! I think that is a neat idea!

I love reading about the early tourism. Now, if I want to see the natural wonder, I can just hop in my car, go there, take a tour, and be back home in a day. Heck, I could probably visit Big Mike's and even take in a Hot Rods game in that day trip! Travelers just a few decades ago did not have the luxuries we have now when it came to transportation. Simply getting to the cave might be an adventure.

No comments: