Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Random Thoughts on Friday

Yes, I know I have been on a postcard kick for some time, but they just look so nice!

I will try to get some posts up about my recent trip through the Carolinas and Georgia. It was a very baseball focused trip though, so check out my other blog for entries on several parks, and on the Ty Cobb Museum. I did spend some quality time in Savannah and I am still processing that beautiful city in my mind.

Not much else going on. I have been reading a lot, though I didn't have much time to read on my trip.

What is up with coffee shops trying to charge a cover? I ran across one recently (not in the area) harassing patrons to give a $1 on their open mic night. I had personally just spent $15 on a dinner and coffee there, and I thought it was classless that they were trying to get another $1 out of their patrons. Sure, its for charity, but I am pretty selective these days about my charities. Put on your open mic night and do a good job. If its a nice night, I will put a $5 in your cup afterwards. Trying to push your patrons to donate $1 is not a good move. I will not be by that shop for a cup of coffee, or a sandwich ever again. I hope that $1 goes a long way.

There used to be a coffee shop in Lexington that is no longer there. I went in with 3 friends one night. No one else at all was in the shop. 3 of us ordered large, expensive drinks. I am sure we were spending $4 each. The guy asked our fourth friend what she wanted, and she said nothing, she just came with us. The guy taking our order said that they had a "cover charge" policy, and if you didn't order anything, they still charged you for a small coffee.

I can totally understand this if you are near a campus, and kids are hanging out there all the time. Being that we had ordered 3 pricey drinks in our party, I thought they would appreciate the patronage of our party. They did not. We cancelled our other drink orders and left. I see why that coffee shop is no longer there.

I was in a coffee shop in Ohio several years ago (again, another one that is not there any longer). I was with 2 friends and we had been there for some time. 2 other people were in the shop with us.

A musical duo started to set up. someone working the bar came over and asked us each for a $3 cover.

Again, if things go well, I will put some money in the tip jar. If the music is above average, I am probably going to buy a CD from the performer. My friends that night were the same way. However, on this night, we did not stick around to see the performer. The three of us (over half of the crowd there on this night) left.

I do like to support the independent musician when I can, but trying to collect a cover from patrons is a lose lose for everyone.

Not much else going on (which is why I am rambling about cover charges at coffee shops).

Hey, did you go to goggle today? They have a really cool pac-man game on their main page right now, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the game!

2 comments:

foxtwin said...

agreed about the cover charge - yuk! and yes, i saw the pac man game on google - it's only there for 48 hours so play on! having fun reading your blog!

jimerado said...

Thank ya Foxtwin! The pac man thing is very cool!