Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

South of the Border, South Carolina

I can not stress just how excited I was about going to South of the Border.


I had read about it at the Roadside America site and at other places. I still was not sure of what to expect. I didn't know if I should expect a crowd or not. I also did know what exactly South of the Border was.

I read a couple of descriptions that made me think that it was a theme park type of place.

It was actually very calm and uncrowded when we stopped by recently. In fact, I was wondering how the place stays in business if so few people stop by.

I asked one worker there about the crowds. She assured me that my time there (early on a weekday) was not normal, and that there are some summer days that the place gets very crowded.

I would almost describe South of the Border as small themed town. There are several gift shops and restaurants with a South of the Border theme. It is not one big building, or a gated theme park.

I talked to one lady who gave me a bit of a history lesson on the place, and she seemed to take pride in working there. I could have talked to her for hours!

I went inside of one gift shop (the main one connected to the big sign) and found some deals. Most of the stuff they sell is novelty items. They had plenty of items with the destinations name on them. They had cheap fun toys too. I love a place that has cheap postcards too, and S.O.B. has postcards 12 for $1!

Another bargain is their sombrero tower, which is similar to a space needle type attraction. It is a buck to go up on it!! A dollar! You get a fun view from the entire area at the top too! I don't know how they make a profit!

There are a ton of funny billboards on the interstate on the way there too.

If you are travelling through the Carolinas, I would really try to stop here because it is so much fun AND things are cheap!

No comments: