Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Random Thoughts On Friday

I know I have mentioned this before, but I am really getting ready for the Halloween Season! I might try to get some creepy book recommendations up soon.

Every time I go to a bookstore, I check out the "local interest" section. I love the books documenting local sports teams, regional postcards, and books about certain landmarks.

In our state of Kentucky, I love finding a book I have not read about Mammoth Cave, Berea College, or oddities in the state.

I went through a phase where I would pick up any "ghost" or "hauntings" book relating to a region. I don't necessarily believe all of the stories in the books, but I enjoy a good ghost story.

After a while though, many of the "ghost stories" sound the same.

I have read about crybaby bridge, ghost hitchhikers and the like in Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

To be honest, a lot of those books and stories can be a bit boring if you are not familiar with the region.

Also, books about hauntings are pretty common, and anyone off the street can write a book claiming to have witnessed or heard about a haunting.

Personally, I find books with a bit more research more fascinating. I have read the phrase "legend has it" many times. Rarely does the author take the time to thoroughly research that legend.

I find myself more interested in books about documented weird stuff, and true crime. It is more solid, and easier to research. I have more respect for that kind of a book.

Still, weird is weird. A good ghost story is still creepy.

I will try to get some interesting and well researched book reviews for the Halloween Season up soon.

No comments: