Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Lost River Cave- Bowling Green KY
























Just a couple of miles down the road from the mall in Bowling Green is Lost River Cave!


I really liked this cave because the actual cave tour pretty much happens while you are on a boat!


You do have to walk a little bit from the main gift shop/visitor center to the cave but that's it. In my opinion, that makes this a good cave tour for anyone who might have trouble with their knees or with walking for a longer period of time.


The day we were there, they were setting up for a wedding! How cool is that? I took a couple of pictures. I did buy the book in the gift shop about the history of Lost River Cave, and it looks like the wedding area is the area where they used to have bands and dancing.


I really like the thought of music and events being held inside of show caves. I know many caves used to have such events. I guess now though, caves just don't seem like the appropriate venues.


The cave does claim that Jesse James hid out here for some time. This is a pretty cool story and it might have a little more legitimacy than some other claims. Then again, it seems that just about every historical place I go to claims that Jesse James hid there, shot a person there, etc.


The grounds around the cave are very nice and calm. There are short hiking trails. They have a butterfly garden too which is a bonus.


Lost River Cave has some "Blue Holes". Even after taking the tour and reading the book, I am a bit fuzzy on what these are exactly. I know there is one in a small pond on the grounds that was believed to be much deeper (several hundred feet deep), until they figured out that one of these blue holes was distorting the measuring technique.

2 comments:

Rho Lansden said...

What a treat to see our beautiful Lost River Cave & Valley from a visitor's prospective. As director of the non-profit 'Friends' organization that provides protection and preservation of the site, your insights are very rewarding and helpful. We'll try to work on the blue hole explanation a little more. Thanks again, Rho Lansden

jimerado said...

Hey Rho, thanks for visiting my blog! I appreciate that!
Lost River Cave is great! We had a good time there. I loved the gift shop too, and the staff was great all over the park.