Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved


I picked up the book, "Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved by Elgen and Marie Long the other day.

It was a quick and interesting read. However, to be honest, I really wasn't too familiar with Amelia before. I knew the basics but not the entire story.

This was a good account of her plans, and her colleagues at various times.

I am not sure how to view Amelia after this book. The romanticized version of her as the brave explorer is nice, but...

Amelia comes off as a bit reckless at times. Not in her flying, but in her preparation. She really doesn't take the time to learn how to use some of her radio equipment, and she removes other radio devices from the Electra to help with weight issues.

There are some other questionable decisions too.

I was talking to a buddy recently who knows a little about the history of flying. I mentioned this book to him, and my perception that Earhart made some bad mistakes. He said that a lot of aviation at that time was a bit of a "make it up as you go along" type situation. The rules were very undefined at the time.

Towards the end, the Longs offer some formulas for trying to figure out where Earhart's plane went down. In many ways, the facts do point to her being very close to her destination.

I enjoyed this book, and it makes me want to read up a bit more on Amelia Earhart!

No comments: