Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Old Talbott Tavern- Bardstown




























Bardstown is a VERY interesting area. I find myself there a lot these days. And.... how can I say this politely..... Well, the town is not exactly a destination for "foodies".
I have been to several restaurants in the area, and I have determined that there is only one that I really like.
I like going to Talbott Tavern simply because I like history and I like cool old places. It was built in 1779!

If someone from outside of Kentucky wanted to eat somewhere authentically Kentuckian, I can think of a very few other places I would want to take them (Keeneland and Patti's Place would share the list with this location).
I used to travel a lot between Owensboro and Lexington, and I would meet an old college buddy from the area here for dinner. We always had fun. The place feels like it hasn't changed much since the late 1700s.
Oh, they have burgoo! AND, they get their burgoo right! I have had it at some other establishments NOT in Owensboro and they don't know what they are doing. In fact, I think you have to eat burgoo in Owensboro for it to taste right. I can honestly give Old Talbott Tavern this- they have the best burgoo outside of Owensboro.

No comments: