Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC





We had to stop by and see Mr. Lincoln!

Actually, Lincoln spots are becoming musts on our travel itineraries.

He is a good old Kentucky boy, born not too far from my stompin' grounds.

And this monument is so iconic.  My hair stood up as we walk up the steps.

Plus, there is that great moment at the end of Planet of the Apes.....  You don't remember that?  No, not the original movie, and not the latest one...  Never mind.

You really do feel like Abe is there keeping an eye on things.  I have visited his birth site.  On this trip, we also visited the site of his death.  Still, I felt more close to the spirit of the man here.

Other events have happened here too noteworthy.  1963 comes to mind.

Here is a photo of the steps going up, a photo of Abe himself, and a photo looking away from the monument.

Also, I am including a postcard  showing the Lincoln Memorial and the Arlington Memorial Bridge sent in 1941!

I am including a second postcard, sent in 1934!  It is the one with the cherry blossoms shown!

No comments: