Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Baltimore Ghosts by Ed Okonowicz


I was looking for a good book about odd attractions in Baltimore before my Baltimore trip. To be perfectly honest, I have been staying away from books with words like "haunted" or "ghost" in the title recently. I love a good ghost story, but many books of this nature are pretty bland. Anyone can put a book together about ghosts and make up the the content. Not a whole lot of fact checking goes on with many of those books.
Well, I read up some on "Baltimore Ghosts" by Ed Okonowicz and it looked a bit more fact based than others. I decided to go ahead and pick it up!
This book has some interesting facts about the sites, and it is a good reference for people like me who like to just go check out weird places.
Okonowicz does a great job of interviewing people closely tied with the sites he mentions. He interviews tour guides, rangers and managers of sites relating to Edgar Allan Poe, Fort McHenry and other strange locations. Many sections include an "interesting facts" section.
The author obviously puts a lot more work in to this book than many authors of "ghost books" do. He doesn't give babbling stories of his own ghost hunting. He interviews people and gives facts. I tip my hat to Ed Okonowicz.

No comments: