Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mt. Zion United Methodist Church and New Macedonia Baptist Church near Owensboro

Several months ago a couple of Einsteins decided to set a couple of abandoned churches on fire near the Windy Hollow area.

They first set Mt. Zion Methodist Church on fire, and they then drove down the road and set fire to New Macedonia Baptist Church.

Luckily, the two arsonists bragged about their actions, and they were caught later that same day.

Both churches were no longer functioning as they were meant too, but many people still feel a connection to these sites.  Even though I live hours away, I always make my pilgrimage to Mt. Zion when I am in the Owensboro area.

Three generations of my family attended Mt. Zion Church and many of my loved ones are buried in the cemetery across the road.  My fathers best friend from the Vietnam War (the person I am named after) also rests there.

I personally attended weddings, funerals, and hundreds of Sunday church services there.


Anyway, I could go on and on.  Sure, these buildings were not what they used to be.  I know Mt. Zion has been open to the elements for some time now.... but it was still there. 


The top four photos on the left are of Mt. Zion, and the bottom two are of New Macedonia.  I do have many photos of Mt. Zion that I have taken over the last couple of decades.  I would love to hear from anyone else with memories of these wonderful churches.







No comments: