Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter: Everything to Gain

Well, knowing that we were going to take a little road trip to Plains Georgia, I wanted to read a book on the Carters.  I picked up "Everything to Gain- Making the Most of the Rest of Your Life" by Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter.

The thing that made me want to read this particular book (Jimmy Carter is a prolific writer) is the fact that it was written, and put out during the Reagan years.

Its a bit funny to me.  Jimmy Carter is the first President I remember having knowledge about as a child.  I barely remember him being in office, but I remember vividly watching on election night as Ronald Reagan defeated him soundly.

But Jimmy Carter never went away.  He stayed in the public eye AND he stayed there with pride and dignity.  Sure, he took the worst beating an incumbent president could take, but he still hung around like the scrappiest fighter ever.  The man is tough.

Not only was he tough, he was a good role model- as this book proves.  Let me back up a bit....  Jimmy Carter is not bragging in this book, he is walking the walk of a man willing to personally get involved when he feels that it is the right thing to do.  If he mentions to some people that he will personally help them restore a building for needy people to live in, he will be there with his tools.  Especially in his community of Plains Georgia, he has made himself more available to the public than any other modern President.

"Everything to Gain" is by Jimmy and Rosalynn (sometimes expressing a thought separately and sometimes together) about getting on with their life after leaving the White House.  They both realize that they want to stay active, and they want to contribute.  There is also a lot in the book about their desire to stay healthy.

The Carters, who must have been tempted to talk trash about President number 40 barely mention him.  In this 80s book (and in interviews I have seen with Jimmy) he has been nothing but classy about his political rivals.

Its almost like the Carters are preaching about staying healthy, active, and productive- especially in your later years.  I know that almost sounds funny, as Jimmy is now OVER 90 and it seems that he has never retired.

I could go on and on about Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter.  I really admire them on so many levels, and I am eager to read more of their books.

No comments: