Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Random Thoughts on Friday

I usually like to avoid mentioning the passing of a celebrity.....  There are PLENTY of sites that cover such things.

BUT, I wanted to say a little something about the recent passing of folk musician Jean Ritchie.

When I was going to Berea College in the 90s, I remember her playing around.  At that time, I had NO IDEA that she was such a legend.  She was just a sweet local lady who you would see playing around the area.

This might sound weird too, but I think she greatly influenced the way that I experience live music (she made me the music snob I am today).  I still have very high expectations when It comes to live music- it doesn't matter if I am at a stadium show, or a small coffee shop in Berea.  I am let down if the performer isn't exceptional.

It took me a while to realize that the lady playing a dulcimer at small venues in Berea was actually not just an exceptional Berea musician, she was one of the best of the best in the world.

No comments: