Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Last weekend in Berea

It is no secret that Berea Kentucky is about my favorite place on the planet.  I spent some time there in college, and I enjoy getting back every chance I can.  Well, the Berea Craft Festival was a great chance to swing by Berea again!

I keep telling people that there is always something new to find even in your own back yard.  It might have been there for some time, but it might take YOU a bit to find it.  Well, I had ANOTHER moment like that myself.  Before we went over to the Craft Festival, we walked around Old Town.  At Old Town, we struck up a conversation with Jimmy Lou Jackson who runs her business, Hot Flash Beads.

Jimmy Lou took a lot of time telling us about the process of bead making, as she fired up her torch to demonstrate some of ways she melts glass, and shapes them in to wearable art.

Jimmy Lou grew up in Berea (on land settled by her great grandfather).  AND, like us, she went to Berea College!  We really liked her work, and we enjoyed her demonstration. 

After hanging out with Jimmy Lou, we went on to Indian Fort Theater for the Festival.  This was, as always, a fun time.  We heard there were artists from each of the 50 states.

The place was packed, and we did see some faces from previous festivals.  Mitch Barrett was there, as he is every year.  That guy is amazing.  I have no doubt that he could sing lines from a cook book and make it sound emotional.

Check out my photos of Jimmy Lou making beads, and of the Art Festival!



No comments: