Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Rocky Top Tennessee Post Office

When we have explored Tennessee, driving south from our area, we have noticed signs for the town of "Rocky Top". 

I think everyone has heard the song "Rocky Top."  I think I have heard it at every baseball game I have attended in eastern Tennessee.  It is a fun song!

I didn't realize that there is an actual town called Rocky Top.  I did some googling around, and it looks like this town has been known as "Lake City" for years.  Not too long ago, they changed their name to Rocky Top!

There were some legal hurdles though, but it does seem that the town is now officially called "Rocky Top".

After reading about all of this, I really wanted to get an official "Rocky Top" postmark for my collection!  I called the post office, and they VERY recently got their Rocky Top cancellation device!

I stopped by here while we were close, and the very friendly staff was able to help me out!



No comments: