Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Alamo:A Story Bigger Than Texas- Battlefield Tour

Last year, we made our first visit to the Alamo in San Antonio Texas.  There is something very intriguing about the site, and about the famous Battle in 1836.

After our time there, I did pick up a couple of previously mentioned books, and I did a lot of reading on the site and it's history.  This history, the very specific fight that took place there, and the mysteries surrounding some of the facts can really get your attention!

So, on this visit, I wanted to do a little more at the Alamo.  I wanted to do a bit more than just walk through the preserved chapel, and hang out for a few minutes.

This year, we ended up taking a "Battlefield Tour" (formally titled "The Alamo: A Story Bigger Than Texas") which is a one hour tour around the Alamo with a tour guide.  Its $15 a person.

We were lucky enough to have Kolby Latham (I think I read his name badge correctly) who was a very nice fellow/absolute expert on the Alamo as our guide!

The tour goes pretty much around the area in front of the chapel (the main area most people think of when they think of the Alamo).  Kolby pointed out lines showing where walls of the fort previously were located.  He covered the monument to the defenders, and he discussed many other details of the battle, and the structure.

One thing that I find so amazing about the Alamo (and I think something that surprises first time visitors) is that it seems small.... and it is surrounded by touristy businesses.  It takes some time for it to sink in that the actual fort was so much bigger.  Also, blood was spilled all over the area that is now a thriving tourist area covered up by restaurants, hotels, and other shops.

Businesses and busy roads run through where much of the fort and the defenders were.  The chapel... the face of the Alamo still stands (though it has gone through some changes) from the original battle.

I was pleased to hear from Kolby that many of the businesses in the area have been told that they must move over the next few years.... as there are plans to restore some of the Fort!  For more info on that, go here!

Some of the buildings in this area have become historic in their own right, and I am not sure how much of the Fort they hope to recreate, but I am sure impressed by the fact that they are planning to do this.  It reminded me of the work that the Civil War Trust is doing.  I will have to look into this more, because I am excited to hear about this. 

Kolby kept the tour going, and pointed out several areas of interest around town.  Jim Bowie's death site was in a grassy area near the chapel, while it is believed that Crockett died near the front of the chapel (there is a marker).

He also took the time at the end of the tour to point out specific battle damage done to the chapel.  It was the kind of stuff that I wouldn't notice myself, and might just assume had happened through weathering.

This tour was an hour long, but I felt like we got more out of it than longer tours I have been on at other sites.  I also want to mention that there were four people in our party- and this was the one thing we did in town that we ALL rated a perfect 10.  One friend in our group was not a history fan, but they really enjoyed this and marked it as a main event on our trip.  For someone like myself who really enjoys learning about history at this point in my life, and for my friend who doesn't- well, we both enjoyed this tour a lot.  The Alamo: A Story Bigger Than Texas gets my highest possible recommendation.




No comments: