Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Blennerhassett Hotel- Parkersburg, West Virginia

You know that I always love having an opportunity to stay at a nice old historic hotel.  We were very lucky to be able to spend a couple of nights at the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg West Virginia during our last trip through the area.

Opened in the late 1880s, it has been a major landmark in the area for close to a century and a half.  The place has been kept up, but it still has it's old vibe going for it.

We stayed on the fifth and top floor, and we had a nice view of town.  We were close to the elevator though, and we could hear people as the hotel was packed on Saturday night.  It wasn't too bad.  We stayed Sunday night too, and the crowds thinned out, so we enjoyed almost perfect silence that evening.

We liked the area where the hotel is located... there is lots to do but you know you are in a small town.  One block over from the hotel, we found the very cool shop, Classic Plastics Toy Store.  They had a lot of old toys that I remember from my childhood, and they had great prices on them.  Plus, they had a very cool arcade area, with the classic 80s and 90s games.

The hotel is a very short drive from many of the other things nearby we wanted to see too.  More on those places later. 

We did buy a package deal that included a $20 gift card each day for the hotel's restaurant, and 2 small drinks at the Coffee Bar (which served Starbucks coffee) inside the hotel.  We liked this deal a lot, as the hotel is nice, and worth hanging out in.

Both evenings that we were at the Blennerhassett, we hung out and read in their library.  It is a small, cozy area stocked with books, and decorated with paintings and art that had a dog and fox hunt theme.  There were several tables, and local newspapers were available. 

Right outside of the library in the lobby area, was the previously mentioned coffee shop.  We had good service from them each night.

In the same area (ran by the same staff running the coffee shop) was a cute and unique gift shop.  Several items made by local artists were available.  They also sold regional books and postcards.

We ended up spending a good amount of time in the hotel's restaurant, Spats Restaurant and Lounge.  We had dinner there one day, and breakfast another.


The wait staff was excellent, and we never needed a refill or anything.  They were totally on top of it.

The food was great too.  For dinner, I had a bowl of carrot soup which could have been my entire meal.  I was pretty satisfied after that.

I had ordered a flatbread pizza though, and, even though I was full, I planned on taking that out too.


The pizza was an unusual creation that had a lot of flavor.  Check out the photo.  Unfortunately, I was simply unable to finish it after that soup.  I did take the unfinished half back to the room for a late night snack.

My wife had a hamburger and fries.  She said that they tasted great too, and she would definitely get them again whenever we return to Spats Restaurant.

For breakfast, I had a GREAT buffet that included everything.  Check out my photo.  I got some biscuits and gravy that had a very different gravy (I was a bit skeptical at first) but man was it good.  It was generally thinner than what I am used too, but they put more stuff in it, giving it a very nice, spicy flavor.  Oh, the buffet was under $11 and included a drink, which I think is a great value for a place like this.

My wife went the healthier route, and had oatmeal and a parfait and she said they were both great.

Everything had a good, fresh taste and the entire experience was top notch.  Nothing felt rushed... no short cuts taken.  We really enjoyed the restaurant here.

My wife actually grew up some in this area (more on that later) and we enjoyed just hanging out here...  So I am sure we will be back to the hotel soon.  I am excited about staying at the Blennerhassett Hotel again!





No comments: