Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center
Near the front of Rockefeller Center in New York City. This year's Christmas Tree is being set up at the right!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

I've Been Seen by the Great White... in Owensboro.... A long time ago.

Here's a weird one......  I am hoping someone else might remember more details about this....

I have this memory from my childhood.  When I was very young- I am thinking this was in the very early 80s.

I remember going to the K-Mart in Owensboro with my family.  It was the K-Mart on Frederica, I don't think that the other K-Mart, the one on Parrish, was open yet.  Oddly, we have always referred to the one on Parrish as the "NEW" K-Mart.  That one just very recently closed, so Owensboro is back down to just one K-Mart...  the original one in town.

Anyway- on this particular morning, we went to K-mart and there was a truck there with a shark in it!  I forget a lot of the specifics.  I think it was a buck or two a person for admission to see the shark.  The shark was not alive, and it was behind glass in a large case if I remember correctly.  I THINK it was some sort of refrigerated case, but again....  I was a little kid, and my memory is hazy on this one.

I do remember feeling a bit terrified by seeing it.  For a small child in the sheltered town of Owensboro, this was quit a thing to see.

I am thinking that the story on this one is that it was one of the biggest sharks caught at one time.  It seems that there was something special about the shark- something that made it special enough to exhibit in K-Mart's parking lots.

I did get the sticker that I have scanned in at that time.  I don't recall if I got the sticker as part of my admission, or if my mom had to pay a little extra for it.  I think I put this sticker on my shirt that day though, and then it went with the rest of my sticker collection- on my bedroom door.

Again- I would love to hear from anyone else who remembers seeing this shark in Owensboro... or anywhere else!

No comments: