Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, August 7, 2017

Stonewall Jackson House- Lexington Virginia



 Here are just a few of the photos I took while visiting the Stonewall Jackson House in Lexington Virginia.  I took more inside, but I am still uncertain of the photography policy at the house- one staff person told me non-flash photos were fine, and another one said that photos are not allowed.  Otherwise, the staff here was very informative and helpful.... and seemed to have a sincere appreciation for the home of Stonewall.

 
I am going to include a photo I took of the desk Jackson had made so that he could stand while he worked.  I had just read about that, and thought it was pretty cool.  AND, it was a bit ahead of its time, as people are wanting desks to STAND at these days.

Of course, our guide told us about Stonewall's life in the area.  He taught at the Virginia Military Institute (they own and operate the house now).  This would be the only house he owned, and when he left it to fight in the Civil War....  he would not return.



No comments: