Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Berea College in Kentucky

While we were in town, we walked all over the Berea College Campus.  Here are several photos of buildings that were special to me for one reason or another.

There are a few classroom buildings, the gym, the theater....  etc.

I lived in 3 different dorms during my stay, and two of them have been forever altered.

I didn't know this until I saw the construction work going on...  but my old dorm of Danforth is gone.  It looks like they are rebuilding it, but it is now gone.  I lived here the longest, and I was the monitor and assistant head resident here at different times.  I spent a summer painting, patching holes, and cleaning suites at the dorm.

The building was two towers of six suites each, connected by a commons/lounge area in the middle.

During the summers, all the male students would move to one tower, and we would repair the suites in the other tower, and sometimes rent out suites to high school groups doing stuff on campus.  I remember one summer, I was checking a high school kid into the dorm.  His whole family was with him....  mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins (this is not a criticism....  my whole clan came with me my first day on campus too).  Anyway, the kids mom pulled me aside at one point and asked me if I could help the young man get a room with his own bathroom.  I didn't mean to be rude, but I started laughing.  I explained to her that such a room didn't exist.  I was the assistant head resident, and I shared a toilet and shower with about a dozen other guys.

I also had one of my few possible supernatural experiences here.  I was up very late one evening, having trouble sleeping, so I went in to an empty suite to do some cleaning.  As I worked, I thought I could here my my name, VERY audibly.  I left that suite and from then on only cleaned during the daytime.









No comments: