Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, May 3, 2019

"Myths and Mysteries of Kentucky" by Mimi O'Malley and Susan Sawyer

I definitely wanted to give "Myths and Mysteries of Kentucky" by Mimi O'Malley and Susan Sawyer a huge thumbs up.  This book has actually been out for a few years but I just got around to reading it recently.

This is one of my more favorite books on strangeness in the state...  there have been some hits and misses but this one is very well done.  I felt that the authors covered some of the few standards in the state (the ghosts of Waverly Hills and White Hall), but they also hit some of the lesser known stories.  AND, they really went in some odd directions, at times tying Madoc and Welsh Indians to the area!

The book is easy to follow and I really enjoyed the treatment they gave to the whole issue of Daniel Boone's burial in Frankfort (this is probably the most easy to understand write up on the whole issue I have ever read).  Similarly, they did a fine job of clearly covering the John Bell Hood/Anne Mitchell story.

There is something O'Malley and Sawyer did with this book that makes it superior to other ghost/mysterious type books- they include a skeptical argument in most chapters.  They don't go overboard on this...  and this is far from a skeptical book...  but the counter point is there with the legends.  I really appreciated this.  I have read other works that have omitted this information to a huge fault.  One book I read recently covered a legend that has been thoroughly debunked....  but they left out the well known debunking.

Anyway, this one gets my highest possible recommendation.  This is a solid collection.

No comments: