Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

"The Indian in the Cupboard" by Lynne Reid Banks

So........  I'm getting older.  It happens....  but I have been thinking a lot about when I was younger.

I have great memories of my childhood.  I had a good time.  Good parents and good people around me.  AND, I know I have mentioned it here before, but I had a great elementary school I went to in Utica Kentucky.

I remember the first real book I ever read was there.  We had all read the basic Jack and Jill type short books with pictures, but this is the first book I remember reading that kinda seemed overwhelming.

That book was Lynne Reid Banks' "The Indian in the Cupboard".  The book wasn't huge, but it was over 150 pages which was big to me at the time.

Anyway, I recently went back and reread it.  I enjoyed it as much as I had before.  It is a really fun story.

If you never got around to reading it, it is about a little boy named Omri who finds out that if he puts plastic figures into a cupboard they will come to life.  Putting them back in will return them to plastic.  He ends up having some adventures with a confident Indian and an emotional cowboy and their horses.  It is a very sweet book and I really loved it when I was a child.

There were FOUR more follow up/sequels....  and I did go back and read them too.  I enjoyed them, but they just didn't have the excitement of the original.  I enjoyed them all, but none had the wallop for me of the first book.  I probably would have loved them if I had read then while at Utica Elementary School.

No comments: