Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Returning to Florence Kentucky

You know, there was a time that it seemed like I was going to Florence all of the time.  I like that area.  I was going up there a lot to catch the Frontier League Baseball team the Florence Freedom.  Nice ballpark.  Nice atmosphere.

I've been doing other stuff lately though, and just haven't gone up there much lately.  I am not as in to baseball as I used to be....  

But, my friend Rick talked me in to going up there for a day trip recently and it hit me that I really love this area, and I have missed it!

We stopped by the great little coffee shop Velocity Bean and Bike which is great!  We also went to World of Golf for several hours.  I am not really a golf person, but my buddy Rick is and he finally talked me in to playing some.  We had a great time at World of Gold....  more on both of those places later.....

We drove about 10 miles out of Florence, to Fort Wright, and we visited the James A. Ramage Civil War Museum.  This place was great.  AND, they do not charge admission!  They are a bit odd about their photography policy though- asking that we not take photos of specific pieces of the collection.....  so I can't post much about them.  Still, they were very nice, and very much into history.  They also have a nice little bookstore in the basement of the museum with some good deals.  I like what they are doing, and for the price of FREE, you definitely should check them out.

We stopped by Quaker Steak and Lube for lunch.  I can't pass up good wings.  Yeah, I know, its a chain and all, but I really like them.

AND, we made it to the legendary Florence Mall.  It is still alive and kicking, but, like every mall anywhere, it has seen better days.  There are still some interesting shops there, and I was glad to make it back there after some time.




 

No comments: