Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

"Ten years on the rock pile" and Instant Legends from the rock pile" by Lee Vincent


 We planned a trip to Vermont and New Hampshire recently.  Before a trip like this, I enjoy reading books about the area we are going to visit.  

ALSO, there are those places you want to visit, but, because of time budgeting, or the way the road trip plays out, you realize that you are going to have to save certain sites for another day.

So, I found myself reading the classic regional volumes "Instant Legends from the rock pile" and "Ten years on the rock pile" by Lee Vincent.  Both books about a state I would be visiting.  Both books about a site that I would not get to visit.

We really wanted to make it to Mt. Washington.....  it is legendary, but, because of our desire to see certain other places, we realized we would have to save Mt. Washington for another day.

Still, I tracked down these quick reads recently.  I first heard about Lee Vincent and his work in the OTHER legendary volume "Passing Strange" by Joseph A. Citro.  Citro gets into some of the ghostly and strange happenings in New England.  Lee Vincent's two books aren't supernatural focused, but he does mention an unseen force on the mountain.

Most of his stories are just fun essays on living on a massively tall mountain that can be cold, windy and isolated.

I was thrilled to find copies of these books, pretty much independently published in the 70s.

No comments: