Strange Kentucky Travels

Strange Kentucky Travels
My book is on Amazon! You should buy it!!!!!

Friday, August 28, 2026

Random Thoughts on Friday: Bootleg concert shirts

 I saw an article the other day about counterfeit t-shirts at concerts.  It was a discussion about the value of knock off shirts, often sold in the parking lot at bigger venue shows.

These days I rarely go to concerts, but there was a time in my life when it wasn't uncommon for me to go to multiple in a week.  I have had a lot of concert shirts in my time.  

A few I have saved, though I have passed many on to some of the kids of friends when they have asked for them.

Probably the first few shirts (legit and counterfeit/fan made) were Grateful Dead ones.  The band, and the fans were great about making cool, colorful shirts.  I had a ton at one time.  I remember buying several around venues before and after shows.

I remember buying a cool Tori Amos shirt from a guy after a show in 1998.  Literally, right after I bought it, security chased the guy off.

Probably the same year, I bought a beautiful tie-dyed long sleeve shirt after leaving a Bob Dylan show.  I felt no guilt whatsoever about not buying an official one- Dylan's performance was terrible that night, and I thought he owed me anyway.

On my was to see the Eagles on their first reunion tour, a guy was holding up some really cool shirts he made right at the exit off the interstate.  He probably sold at least one to every other car, including mine.

After a Kiss show on their first original line up reunion tour I crossed paths with a guy selling very cool shirts in the parking lot.  The design was a bit off (right year, wrong tour dates, etc) but they were still very cool.  He was looking to unload quick, and I bought several from him for less than $10 each.  Several friends got one for Christmas that year.

I would love to hear from others who bought unlicensed shirts at concerts.

No comments: