I heard on the radio that Columbia House was finally going out of business. I honestly wasn't aware that they were still in business. If you told me they folded 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, I would have believed you.
Most people remember their deal- you could get something like a dozen albums, tapes or CDs for a penny, but you had to agree to buy a few more later at regular price plus shipping. BMG had a similar club/deal.
Most people got the initial batch of albums then quickly forgot about the club and ignored future mailings.
I remember one kid in middle school saying that he had some albums sent to the address of a vacant home on his street, which he claimed when they were delivered.
I joined these clubs several times and completed my membership honestly each time. Even if you were honest, it was a great deal back in the day. Also, if you referred a friend, you got an extra 4 or so albums. I literally referred myself and got the extra albums more than once.
Even for those of us who have always loved physical media, there was a point where this stopped being a good deal.
When I moved to Cleveland in the late 90s, I found used CD shops everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Of course, the big hit albums that everyone had were plentiful, and they were marked down quickly. For several years, rarely did I pay more than a couple of bucks for a standard CD. It was great.
It still kind of is.
I still scavenge used book and music stores for CDs, but I have most of what I want.
Those days of getting excited about your box full of CDs from Columbia House are long gone.
I will occasionally pay up for a CD or album, if I am buying it directly from an artist, or if there is something special about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment