I am getting to the age where some of my friends from childhood have passed away. Not many, but a few.
One of my best friends through middle school and high school was Daphne. We hung out in the same circles and did a lot together. She was one of those people I felt like I truly grew up with. Almost everything that happened during that period of my life- she was there.
We had a falling out at one point. I have forgotten what it was about, but we didn't talk for several months.
During that time, I got a job that was pretty easy, the hours were not great though. Basically, I had to keep a casual eye on a few things, but it was a midnight until 8am gig. They literally told me to bring in some movies to watch while I was doing the job to keep from getting too bored.
I went to a local video rental place (remember those) and I discovered that my old friend Daphne was working there. Again, we had our falling out.... but we could be civil. I was going to at least ask her how she was doing as I rented my tapes.
I remember she didn't charge me, and she gave me a ton of "free rental" coupons. I think it was her way of apologizing. It was very kind and very appreciated at the time.
We were friends again, and it was good hanging out here and there after that.
Later in life, she would move to Tennessee, but we would still get together with her here on the road.
I was devastated in 2018 when I found out she had passed away.... but I was glad that we got passed our differences years earlier.
No comments:
Post a Comment