Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Kentucky Bisons at the Sportscenter, Owensboro, KY.

I was FINALLY able to get out to the Sportscenter to check out Owensboro's pro basketball team, the Kentucky Bisons!

As a personal side story, I went with my dad. The last time either my dad or I went to the Sportscenter for any reason was when I was a little kid growing up in Owensboro. We went to see wrestling. Jerry "The King" Lawler tossed a fire ball in the face of the Master of Pain in the main event that night. That was some time ago.

Luckily, Owensboro has some legitimate events at the old Sportcenter now.

The Sportscenter looked good to me. It has obviously had some work done, that it truly needed. They have added some really cool banners hanging from the ceiling showing dates and events that have occurred there.

The Sportscenter had VERY reasonable concessions. My dad and I purchased a hot dog, a large drink, and a small drink for $6.50! It was a quality dog too, not a cheap one!

I am guessing there were about 700 spectators at the event this past Saturday. I thought this was a good crowd. Then again, I am comparing that to the crowds I have seen at the Bluegrass Stallions games.

I should take a moment to mention that the old Sportscenter looked great to me. It was, frankly, a lot nicer than I remembered. It looked nice. They have done some work to it, and it shows. I am not a fan of bleacher seating, but there was plenty of chair back seating too. In fact, at this general admission event, no one had to sit on the bleachers unless they just wanted to.

The floor looked attractive. The court was showing the yellow and purple look of the Kentucky Wesleyan College Panthers. There is a nice video board too.

The venue allowed kids on the floor to shoot baskets before the game and during intermission. There was a very casual feel here.

The team has a VERY impressive mascot. I love all mascots, but I really appreciate the ones that hit it out of the park.

Billy Bison did that. In fact, he hit them out of the park the entire night.

He came out in Grim Reaper gear to taunt the visiting team. Later, he came out with a ref shirt on, and at another point, he was dressed in a Bisons jersey. The whole time he entertained the crowd, and played with the kids. The Bisons have a great high energy mascot.

I should take a moment to mention that Bisons cheerleader Tamera sang the National Anthem and she did a great job. She wasn't trying to extend notes or do anything fancy. She hit her notes, and did an honest job. I think the crowd appreciated it, and I sure did. It was one of the best renditions I have heard in a long time.

During the break, the Bisons invited fans to come on the floor and dance along with the cheerleaders. I know it sounds goofy, but it ended up being very cool. The floor was covered with kids, adults, and a few elderly individuals. Billy Bison was on the court dancing, and so was player Lamar "The Freak" Owen.

There was no on court announcer, no t-shirt toss, and limited time out entertainment, which was pleasant.

The game was fun, and high scoring, as all ABA games are.

The team hung out after the game to sign autographs. I love that about the ABA too.
I do hope the Owensboro area keeps supporting this team. This is a fun and competitive league, with over 50 teams.

No comments: