Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Utica Elementary School, Kentucky


I am not sure if many people care, but here are some pictures of my old school. Yep, my old elementary school. I have some great memories of this place.

I think about 250 other kids went here, and we all respected our teachers, and each other. This was a good place. I seem to drive past there every year or two still. I have a lot of love for the community there. My buddy Charlie's mom used to be the postmaster at the old post office across the street. He lived close by, and I remember walking to his house with him after school a time or two. I remember buying baseball cards at the general store there.

When I lived in a bigger city that I will not mention here, one of the doctors I worked with talked about having a child. I mentioned that I would not want to bring a child up in a big urban environment. I said that I would want them to go to a nice elementary school like the one I went to. The doctor jokingly tried to accuse me of wanting to shelter my child. I said to my doctor friend, "yes, I definitely would shelter them."


I don't know if I would say that I felt sheltered at Utica Elementary School, but I felt safe there. Also, looking back, I feel like the teachers there cared about the kids they were helping.

A friend's daughter went to Utica. I was at his house visiting one night. He had to go there for something, I forget what exactly, but he asked me if I would like to stop by there with him. You bet I did!

It was funny, my memory of the building was of it being huge! I remember the cafeteria being big enough to hold hundreds of students.

I remember the hallways were never ending.

I guess the building must have shrunk. The halls were smaller. Maybe 30 kids could cram into the lunch room.

I remember playing dodge ball in the gym, buying 5 cent erasers from the supply store in the morning before class, and the big Pirate (our mascot) painted in the entrance area.

I remember making Christmas ornaments out of clay and many other artsy projects.

I am really glad that I had the chance to go to school here.

No comments: