Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Berea College.... again

Yes, I am being a bit indulgent at the moment with my love of Berea. If you are sick of me writing about Berea, then skip this post. Or, you can be like everyone else in the world, and just not read my blog- MOM!

I guess this is sort of like the "if a tree falls in the woods, but no one is there to hear it...." line. "If Jimerado writes a blog, but no one reads it..."

OK, back on topic. Here are some pictures from the Berea campus I took recently. Some are the same buildings seen in my Berea postcard entry for comparison.

One building is the science building. I only had a couple of classes here, and honestly, I don't remember a lot about them. I did take "Astronomy" here. I enjoyed the class, but my grade was BAD.. with an emphasis on the last letter of bad. I do think it is funny that I have become MUCH more interested in space and the universe since leaving college.

I do not know why that tree is leaning so much in front of the science building.

I do remember being so excited about the library. It was massive. You could get lost in there. I spend many hours looking through obscure books about every topic, and I used to love reading the new magazines on a weekend morning. Libraries- especially large ones like this, make me feel powerful. Kind of like that guy in that episode of Twilight Zone... but before he breaks his glasses.

Bingham Dorm is pictured. I had a great time there. It was considered a study dorm. We raised money to help kids at Christmas with some charity stuff. We had a nice Christmas party for them. One year, we bought all of the little boys GI Joe dolls, and all of the little girls Barbie dolls (and don't get on to me about political correctness on this one- ALL little boys want a GI Joe, and all little girls want Barbies- its a fact!). Well, we bought the toy store at the Richmond Mall out of GI Joe dolls. We were about 3 short of what we needed, so we bought 3 Spider Man dolls for the little boys who would not get a GI Joe. As we had our Christmas party and handed out wrapped gifts, one little boy told Santa that he REALLY wanted a Spider-Man doll! Me and a couple of my buddies were Santa's elves, and we quickly looked for one of the more square shaped boxes, as we knew that box would not be a GI Joe. It was so nice seeing the child when he realized he got a Spider-Man!

I really feel privileged that Berea College let me come and hang out there for 4 years, doing the college thing.

I talked to a friend the other day who currently has an association with another private college. He was telling me about the financial burden many of the kids he sees are putting on themselves. Since Berea is tuition free, we came out pretty much owing nothing. We got a 4 year degree in the process, had a good time, and we met our future wives there.

I was talking to another friend recently who has a daughter a short drive away going to a state school. Her daughter is dealing with home sickness.

I went through some of that at Berea. My family was nearly four hours away in Owensboro.

I didn't have a car on campus for the first couple of years or so, so I felt a bit stranded at times. I loved the school and the town, but you do miss friends and family.

These days, I kind of feel like Berea is another home town. I do sometimes describe myself as Berean.

No comments: