Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Eugene Derricotte- Tuskegee Airmen

I received ANOTHER great note from a member of the legendary Tuskegee Airmen. Eugene Derricotte contributed to serving our country with the group, AND he played football for the University of Michigan from 1944-1948!

Eugene completed high school in 1944 and entered college right after that. He completed one semester, then he was drafted December of 44.

After several weeks of training at Fort Bragg, he was offered a chance to train as a pilot at Tuskegee Army Air Field in Tuskegee, AL. He earned his wings in May of 1946!

"By the time World War II was over and I was discharged in July 1946 allowing me to return to the University of Michigan to complete my education."

Eugene graduated from dental school, then entered the US Air Force as a Dental Officer. He was able to get a full retirement in 1985.

I asked Mr. Derricotte about movies showing the Tuskegee Airmen.

He tells me, "I have only seen the first film, but look for the most recent movie to be released soon, produced by George Lucas early next year. Hopefully, it will be the most accurate one produced."

I also asked him about race relations.

"Race relations I think have improved. To believe an African American could become President of the United States should support that."

Thanks for the letter Eugene, and thanks for all you have done for America!

No comments: