Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book: lost Caves of St. Louis


"Lost Caves of St. Louis" is a really fun book to read, even if you are not familiar with the city.

I love hearing about lost and forgotten places. I enjoy hearing the legends of places that were accessible at one time, but they are not now.

Of course, when I hear about a place that you could get to before, but you can't get there now, I want to go to it!

I think stopping to take a tour of a show cave is always exciting. I find myself in several a year and I enjoy each one.

It makes me a bit sad to know that the amazing city of St. Louis has the potential to add show caves to its extensive list of tourist attractions.

"Lost Caves of St. Louis" talks about the many caves in the area. It seems that most were originally used to store beer by the many breweries. The author and his wife get permission to explore most of the caves around the 60s.

Sadly, the openings to the caves have been destroyed for different reasons, and the entrances are no longer around!

I really would love to see St. Louis open up a couple again! It seems that roadways were the main cause of cave entrance destruction, but surely some access is still available.

I would love to hear from anyone with photos or more info on the caves.

This book is a fun one because of the great documentation of the caves by the author before they vanished. It is interesting hearing about the condition of the caves and how they were used at different times.

No comments: