Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hidden City with Marcus Sakey

I am not watching a lot of TV these days, but I did stumble across a new show that I love. It is called, "Hidden City with Marcus Sakey." The show is really well done.

As you can tell from my blog, I like the weird places and moments in history (a friend recently suggested that I change the name of this blog to "The Weirder the Better"). I am fascinated with the good moments in history, but the dark ones are sometimes more interesting.

Marcus Sakey goes to some areas (so far mostly the big, notable cities) and he examines crime and mysteries that have happened in the areas. He has interviewed former politicians, convicts and other Riffraff.

Sakey is a great host. He gets to the point quick and keeps things fact based. There are some other shows out there that try to document strange places and historical events that are WAY too pseudo scientific. Forget the haunted sites and conspiracy theories, sometimes the simple facts are strange enough.

I really like the source material on this show. Marcus talks to witnesses of crimes and events (on a recent show he talked to friends and neighbors of Sid & Nancy about the events surrounding their deaths). Unlike some other shows, I feel like Marcus goes to the source, and finds people that were there. Interviews with generically credentialed "experts" that might appear on some other shows do not appear here.

Hidden City starts out fast and it keeps it up. I watched a show the other night and felt upset when it ended. So, I guess my only complaint is that I wish this were a two hour show.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/hidden-city

No comments: