Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Subway System, Washington DC









We used the subway system on our recent trip to DC!

I have used the public transportation systems in San Francisco, Chicago, New York City, Cleveland and other places.  Still, it is always a new experience.

My friend Mark ALWAYS tries to use the public transportation systems in every area he visits.  He says that it is part of experiencing a place.


These days we drive just about everywhere we go, so getting around isn't a big issue.

This trip was a bit different.  We drove in to the area, parked our car and walked or used the tour bus.

For one site we had to use the subway.

It was a lot easier than I expected, and pretty hassle free.  I did put my ticket in the wrong slot the first time, but that was easy to fix.  I just went to the gate one over.

There was something a bit sci-fish about going underground and getting on the trains.  I am sure those residents of DC who use it all the time consider the entire process standard but it is out of the ordinary for the uninitiated.

Dark tunnels, loud rumbles, speeding trains.  It is a bit unreal.

I mentioned before that the whole process felt generally very safe too.  One guy stopped to offer help with direction when we looked confused.  Strangers nodded hello at times.

I remember having a very different experience when I used the subway in NYC years ago.

And just for fun check out the photo of the couple thumb wrestling.  I thought that was a sweet moment and I had to take a picture.






No comments: