Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Union Station Washington DC














On our recent trip through Washington DC, we found that Union Station was a main area for transportation.

Built in 1908, it appears that the facility has been a significant spot in down for over a century.

The place is a third shopping mall, a third bus/train stop, and a third beautiful old historic building.

We caught the subway from here when we used it, and we got on our tour buses here in the mornings when we used them.

I found several cool things that I like to pick up when travelling there, including postcards, and some unique patches at one kiosk.

I found some cool local type items at America, The Smithsonian Shop, and Life on Capitol Hill.  I especially liked the last one.  In addition to finding several cool items, the shop staff directed me to other shops that might have an item or two I wanted that they didn't have.

I want to also mention that I LOVE the comic shop there, Fantom Comics.  I am not the big comic geek I used to be, but I still pick up the interesting graphic novel or indy comic that catches my eye.  This place had a nice selection and friendly knowledgeable staff.  As far as cool little comic shops go, this one gets an A+.  If you are near Union Station, stop by.

http://www.fantomcomics.com/

They were doing a bit of work on the outside of Union Station while we were there (and some on the inside) but you could still appreciate the beauty of the place.  I love the statues inside and outside.  The architecture is amazing too.

The postcard at the top of this post was sent in 1961.






No comments: