Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Boone Tavern in Berea Kentucky

I have had a long and personal relationship with Berea College, AND with Boone Tavern.  I will say openly that I love the college and the historic hotel. 

I got my degree from the school.  I had a lot of fun while I was there.  I am still friends with a lot of people I went to school with there.

AND, I met my future wife at Berea College, while we both worked at Boone Tavern!

That's a story for another day.  Anyway, we decided that a weekend away at Boone Tavern would be nice.

Sure, we are in Berea a lot for day trips, or just to enjoy Papalino's, but an actual casual weekend with no real plans would be great.  Maybe we could take a tour, walk around old town, and just enjoy being there.

I did call the Berea College Visitor Center to schedule a tour for Saturday morning.  They took my name and number.  Well, when we got there Saturday morning, no one was there to give us our tour.  We even went back later in the day, and the visitor center wasn't open at all, despite posted hours that they would be.

That's the one issue I have with the place.....  Berea doesn't always bring its A game.  Students do run a lot of things around campus, and that IS nice, but they sometimes use that as an excuse.  In fact, I talked to someone on campus after our "no show" tour, and they said, "well, students give those tours so....".

I did email the visitor engagement manager about this and she blamed it on the tour guides car trouble.


Other than that, we had a great time back on campus.  We had a couple of great meals at Boone Tavern, and it had been some times since I actually set down for a meal there.  Spoonbread is what the place is known for.  I don't know how to explain spoonbread exactly, but it is like cornbrean but fluffier.

Chicken Flakes in a Birds Nest is another thing that has been on the menu here forever.  Anyway, everything was good.

Our room was cozy too.  For a historic hotel, Boone Tavern is very modern.  They did some major upgrades recently, and you can tell.

We were thinking about our trip to Talbot Tavern not too long ago.  I love Talbot Tavern in Bardstown, but as far as the rooms go, Boone Tavern is superior.

We actually spent a lot of time reading and relaxing in our room.  It was very cozy.  We also enjoyed the vibe around Boone Tavern.  In the evening, there was a young girl playing piano and singing in the lobby.

And, the main block where Boone Tavern is located is very lively for such a small place.  We enjoyed some coffee at Berea Coffee and Tea (my old hang out from the 90s) which was open pretty late.  Papalino's was also still busy later in the evening.

The college book store, Appalachian Fireside Gallery, Peace Craft, and ice cream/fudge shop, and other businesses are all on the square, a few steps from Boone Tavern,

Boone Tavern is a very nice getaway from Louisville or Lexington.  Its also just a couple of hours way from Knoxville and Gatlinburg.  Check it out when you have a chance!








No comments: