Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Old Postcards: Boone Tavern Berea, Ky.


"Owned and operated by Berea College. Berea has given eighty years of service to the young men and women of the mountains of our Southern Appalachian States. Approximately two thousand students are welcomed each year to the Berea campus. The college receives no support from the state or from any denomination. It is largely dependent upon the gifts of men and women who believe in the mountain people and in the purpose and methods of the college."

That is from the back of the top postcard shown, it is used, and it is postmarked 1936!

The one under that card reads:
"Boone Tavern is at the center of the campus on the Dixie Highway, where the Cumberland Foothills meet the Blue Grass. Of the 2,000 students enrolled this year, 90% have come from the mountain counties of the Southern Appalachian States. To meet current expenses, the College must depend largely upon the donation of friends."

The postcards at the bottom of this entry are a bit more modern, but they are still, well, retro.

The very bottom postcard shown (night shot) is one I think I picked up at the Tavern when I worked there.

On a personal note, I am a Berea Alumni, and I love this place. I worked at the Tavern for a semester and I still stop by there.

I love the college, the tavern, and the shopping area.

I met my future wife at the Tavern!

The very bottom picture is not from a postcard, but it is a picture I took of the renovated area last time I was in town. The other photo is one I took from the corner a month ago.

No comments: