Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, November 6, 2017

Jefferson County Museum- Charles Town West Virginia

This was something not even on my radar when we planned our trip to the Charles Town area.  I am so glad I found this place!

We stopped by the visitor center in Charles Town, and they recommended that we swing by the Jefferson County Museum which is in the same building as the library.

AND, this ended up being a highlight of our visit to the area.

A very nice young lady gave us a map of the museum, and even gave us a bit of a mini guided tour. 

They do have some very interesting displays on the local school, industry, etc.  There are vintage toys.  All worthy of display.

BUT, they have many items that I am sure make bigger museums jealous.

There is a HAND WRITTEN letter from George Washington to his brother Charles, who founded this town.  It is in a very protective case, and it is the original that is on display.

I think most visitors swing by here to see the John Brown related items though...  and they do have many.

Guns from the arsenal are here.  Personal items of Browns are in cases to see nearby.  They even have some very impressive items relating to the man and his time in the area.

There is an entire case of small items owned or relating to Brown.

I think the most stunning/shocking item is the wagon that Brown rode in on his way to the gallows.

As we left, we noticed that the museum sold old vintage linen postcards for a quarter each or five for a dollar!  I felt like a thief buying them at that price, but I bought $5 worth.  Plus, I think it was $6 to go through... so this place is a great bargain too!

I don't want to knock any of the other great sites around, but this museum is incredible.  I would say if you only had a couple of hours to spend in the Harpers Ferry/Charles Town area and you can only visit one place- this would be the one to visit.  I would even say that, if you had to choose between a quick visit to the National Park location, or this museum.....  I would pick this nice little museum!













No comments: