Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, April 22, 2021

"The Jennie Wade Story" by Cindy L. Small

I have been on a bit of a Gettysburg kick lately.  I rewatched my video touring the battlefield from several years ago.  I went back and reread some of my Gettysburg books.  There is so much information on the battle! 

It hit me though, I had never read a book on the only civilian killed in the battle, Jennie Wade. 

Well, I found a nice older copy of Cindy L. Small's "The Jennie Wade Story".  The book is still in print and it is a great quick read about Jennie.  If you are planning a first visit to town, this would be a great intro to the legendary young lady, who was just baking bread for the soldiers.

The book gives the details known about Jennie, but there is a great appendix section in the back getting into some of the other odd details of Jennie and Gettysburg.  I was fascinated to read about other civilian injuries and deaths caused LATER relating to the battle.  There is a discussion about where the fatal bullet came from.

This was just a nice little book that was fun to read.

No comments: