Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, August 18, 2023

"Lansing and the Civil War" by Matthew J. VanAcker


 While recently visiting Michigan, and touring their State Capitol building in Lansing, I found a signed copy of "Lansing in the Civil War" by Matthew J Van Acker and I knew I had to pick this one up!  The kind lady in the office asked me if I was able to meet the author (Matthew) who was giving tours!  I had not, but I probably passed him.  

Still, I was excited to find a book about the Civil War in this northern town.

Of course, Lansing itself did not see any action during the Civil War, but it was involved.  This volume talks a lot about locals who volunteered to fight for the Union.

Books about northern towns sending their sons to fight in the Civil War can be a bit dry at times, sometimes serving as a document of names and battles they were in.

"Lansing in the Civil War" does more than that, and I really enjoyed reading this one straight through.

The book kind of starts with a man telling about his brother being one of the first in town to sign up to fight, as others followed.

There are many great stories about the basic Billy Yank.  VanAcker talks about one who was at Ford's Theatre THAT night.  Another young Michigander is told he cannot serve because of a defect with his little finger.  To show his desire to fight, he asks that his finger be cut off.  

Another great story involves John Broad, who was declared dead, but "came back to life".

The author talks about a Lt. Whitman, whos remains would lay in state in the House of Representatives in the Old Lansing State Capitol- the only documented time this happened there.

There are other strange tells.  The "war comet" is mentioned.  There is also a dark mention of a portrait studio encouraging business with a line about the soldiers and how "Many of them we may never see again".

This is just a really nice book and I am glad I found it in Lansing, especially a signed copy.

No comments: