Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Gelato Fiasco, Brunswick Maine



We covered a lot of ground on our trip to Maine. Sure, I know most people wouldn't drive out of their way for a coffee/ gelato place, but this place is worth driving out of your way for.

I must say that I am not a big gelato person. In fact, I have come across it rarely. Its like ice cream. Thats my knowledge of it.

The Gelato Fiasco has a unique way of making it, and people were loving it.


I must confess though, I went in for coffee. I had their "God of Thunder" coffee. Well, the coffee smelled great when I went to get it. This is one of those rare coffee shops where the coffee tastes just as good as it smells.

If you are ever near Brunswick or the Portland area, check this place out. It is on a nice street with other cool shops near by.


This might be hard to visualize, but they literally pour hot water directly into a free standing strainer with coffee in it. Your very own cup is placed under the filter, and it is brewed right into your cup. It was delicious!!

I sent an email to Josh at the Gelato Fiasco and asked him about how they make this great coffee. Here is how he explained it:

"We call it a 'Brew Bar'. It's basically a custom-made structure that holds four melita-like filter holders. The key is grinding the beans moments before brewing and using a correct grind with enough coffee beans. It's a little slower than an airport obviously, but the results speak for themselves. I'd say the only downside has been not being able to have coffee any other way or at any other place since we're the only ones I know of in Maine using this system".

I have been to hundreds of coffee shops. Seriously. I love good coffee. I can think of a couple of great places that make a distinct, perfect cup of coffee. This was easily one of the three best cups of coffee I have ever had. Ever.

If you are serious about good coffee and you are within an hour or so of Brunswick Maine make a point to get to this great place. If you are travelling with non-coffee people that's fine, they can have some gelato.

No comments: