Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Niagara Falls

Since things have been a bit slow in my neck of the woods, mostly because of the holidays and a wicked cold, I thought now might be a good time to mention Niagara Falls. I haven't been up there in a few years. I used to go a couple of times a year when I lived in Cleveland. I am on a huge Niagara Falls kick right now (I got the complete series of the show "Wonderfalls" for Christmas, prompting my recently renewed interest in the Falls).


Niagara Falls is still pretty accessible. You could do it over a four day weekend from Kentucky. I would suggest trying to incorporate it into a week trip through the north. It does justify a whole week to itself too. You could spend 7 or more days here easily. I think I could spend 7 days simply staring at the Falls in amazement.


We used to pretty much hang out on the Canadian side, but the American side is pretty cool too. Most people suggest getting to the Canadian part if you must choose between 1 or the other.


It is amazing to see the falls, and I do remember the first time walking right up to the rail and seeing them.


The area walking distance from the falls is very exciting. I have heard friends compare it to Gatlinburg, and other very touristy areas. There are blocks of shops, restaurants, and museums.


Niagara Falls has a certain mythical and dark beauty to it. Like some of the other wonders of the world, there is plenty of strangeness at the falls. I recently read "In The Mad Water" and "Journeys to the Brink of Doom" by TW Kriner. Both books give details of the many deaths and other tragedies that have occurred near and in the falls. I will have to do a review of these fascinating books later as I let a friend borrow my copies a couple weeks ago. Both books would be appropriate reading in October.



I have had trouble finding stats on jumpers at the falls. Most of the stunt jumpers are pretty well documented on line and elsewhere.



One thing that really amazes me at each visit is the barge that is stuck just above the Canadian side. Many people are unaware of this, but if you take about a 5 minute walk away from the Horseshoe Falls you will see it. It is out a bit, but it is there. It has been there for decades! Kriner's book tells the story in detail of how it was basically jammed there to keep it from going over by it's 2 passengers. It has remained there since.


Anyway, here are some of my favorite pictures from my personal Niagara Falls collection!



I might write more about the Falls again soon, especially after I finish up the Wondefalls series, and after I get my books back.

No comments: