Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

1 year anniversary

I just realized that I have had this blog going for a little over 1 year! I would like to that all of the people that read this blog. So, that being said, thank you all 5 of my followers and mom.

When I started writing this blog, I wanted to talk about all of the cool things in and around the state of Kentucky. Obviously, I have deviated from that some. I do want to keep the focus on Kentucky and places that someone from Kentucky could get to during a weekend or maybe a week long trip.

Anyway, I thought now might be a good time to indulge myself in some of my favorite's loosely relating to Kentucky.

Favorite City in Kentucky:

Man, I love so many of them. I love stopping in random cities just for the heck of it sometimes. Berea has a very special place in my heart. Berea is the kind of town that is a bit of a Kentucky secret. I am really big on Lexington, Owensboro, Louisville, and E-Town too. Oh, and I love taking trips to the Mammoth Cave/Bowling Green area. OK, I don't have one favorite town in Kentucky.

Favorite weekend trip not in Kentucky:

I am not sure if I can answer this one clearly either. I have really developed a love for Indianapolis. They have a great clean downtown area that is easy to navigate. You can walk to the main pro sports facilities from downtown. They also still have several nice malls that haven't closed down. Their Children's Museum is the best children's museum I have seen so far.

Gatlinburg is a fun place too. I really enjoy the lay out, the scenery, etc.

Favorite book relating to Kentucky:

I love any touristy/weird book relating to Kentucky, or any of its bordering states. I love roadside oddities and any book about them. This year, however, I think my favorite book with a Kentucky connection is the massive volume "Manhunt: the 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James Swanson (see my previously posted review). This is a just a darn interesting, well researched and well written book. It is big, but you will read it in no time. You will not be able to put it down. This is one I will read again.

Favorite coffee shop in Kentucky:

This is another hard one. I might have to make this a east vs. west. The Creme Coffee House in Owensboro is the best in that area. Man, is that place cozy. They have a great selection, and they have really decorated it nicely. I hope the town keeps supporting this place.

I love the Heine Brothers chain in Louisville. Everyone one of them. They carry the local free mags and they sell some other great treats. Its a chain, but is is a Louisville chain.

Common Grounds Coffee in Lexington is a favorite too. They have pulled in some fun music acts, and I feel like I am hanging out at a buddy's house when I am there. I have found myself at their sister shop, Main and Maple in Nicholasville lately too.

No comments: