Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Kentucky Aviation Museum Kentucky









I've heard about the Kentucky Aviation Museum for some time. It is one of those places that people talk about, but not that many have really been to it.

I checked it out and I was very impressed. There is something really nice going on in Lexington.

There is a large hanger full of planes and other aviation related items. Outside, there are more airplanes.

I guess I should say that I do not have a rich understanding of airplanes or how they work. My appreciation of flight is as an outsider. It is hard for me to really understand flight

The Kentucky Aviation Museum tries to cater to people like me.

I thought it was great that the place had several volunteers roaming around to answer questions and to help. I think all of these guys are former military.

When we walked through the front entrance, we were greeted by the a staff person selling tickets. It was $6 a person, which was very reasonable. The staff person told us about the museum, the planes around back, etc. I asked about events there, visitors, etc. All of my questions were answered thoroughly.

We went inside to see the planes and displays. I think I was most impressed with the "hands on" feel the place has. You can actually get inside of the planes! It is, to an extent, encouraged.

We asked one of the volunteers if he could show us the planes outside (you can see the planes behind the hanger, but it is required that a volunteer accompany you). Our guide took us outside to show us around.

There is a view of the Lexington airport here. We were able to see some planes come in and take off.

Plus, we got to see the planes.

Steve, our guide, went out of his way to inform us about the planes, and some of the features on the planes. What was great was the fact that he really gave our friends 4 year old son the VIP treatment. He explained the airplanes to him, AND let him stand on the wings for some photos! Steve explained in very easy to understand details how the planes worked. His explanations were perfect for our 4 year old friend (and for me!).

Steve was great, even giving our friend a flying copper type toy that was very appreciated.

The museum gift shop is well stocked with books and souvenirs. I picked up my usual patch.

Check out their web site. I will have to attend some of their events. I know they have had astronauts, innovators, and the Doolittle Raiders reunion in the past! WOW!

http://www.aviationky.org/

No comments: