Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Joseph-Beth Booksellers- Lexington


When I was going to school in Berea years ago, it was such a treat to get to Lexington. At the time the town had THREE malls (2 of which are now defunct). A trip to Joseph-Beth was a must each time we came to Lexington.

Joseph-Beth was in what was until recently the Comp USA store. Even then it seemed huge.

Then, the bookstore sort of took over the mall. It moved out of its side store location and moved to the center mall area.

I remember the first time a friend took me there. I felt overwhelmed. It was a fantasy bookstore. I figured there could not be a more perfect place to buy books anywhere.

At that time, I recall that I was trying to find some obscure books. I asked a staff person at JB if they had them. Some they had, but a couple they did not have in stock. They were able to order them for me.

I do enjoy going to small used book stores, and hunting for an odd out of print book now and then. Still, Joseph Beth is my home book store. When friends visit from out of town, the place is a must stop.

On a side note, when I lived in Cleveland, a great Joseph Beth store opened in the Shaker Square area. I worked in that area, and was able to stop by at least once a week. Just like the one I remembered in Kentucky, the place was cozy, and had a great book and magazine selection. I was so excited about that store! Unfortunately, that store closed (a second Cleveland store opened at Legacy Village. The Cleveland area actually had 2 Joseph Beth stores for a month or so before the Shaker one closed).

Cincinnati has a store too. I like them all, but I am happy to be able to go to the Lexington one every chance I get.

No comments: