Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hillbilly Hot Dogs- Huntington, WV








We love watching travel shows. I do enjoy catching "Man vs. Food" and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" whenever I can. They are fun shows, and I like the traveling show concept.

We did see Hillbilly Hot Dogs one night on the tube. A few days later, while traveling through West Virginia, we saw the real deal on the road!

It was funny, the place truly stands out. I remember seeing it, and not realizing it was the same place that was on Guy Fieri's show a few nights earlier. I told my wife that we had to stop there for lunch. Being the more perceptive of the two of us, she immediately remembered seeing the show about it!

It is hard to get the whole place into one picture. Check out my photos though, the place look like an old run down shack. We really weren't sure where the front door was at first.

We went in and the place was crowded! There was a line and a wait, but we were fine with that. The line gave us time to check out the menu AND check out the decor.

Let me start with the decorations. I THINK we were standing inside of an old shack. There were tables for eating and a place to order. Hillbilly Hot Dogs has allowed visitors to sign walls, tables, and other stuff. Pretty much any place- wall or ceiling- that can be signed has been John Hancocked by various visitors.

Other toys, 8 track cassettes and trinkets are scattered about.

I think I am qualified, having grown up in a very rural Kentucky area, to say that Hillbilly Hot Dogs has done a very accurate job of decorating. Enough self disclosure for today.

They have incorporated a couple of old school buses into the restaurant too. Seriously. I had my hot dogs while setting on one of the buses.

On to the hot dogs. I want one now.

These guys have many different hot dogs. Mine had chili, onions, mustard and slaw. I wasn't a slaw on a hot dog person before, but I am now.

They have some meal deals where if you get 2 dogs, fries, and a canned drink for 6-7 bucks. We had a perfect shake too. They were generous with the fries and toppings. Their basic meal deal is more than enough. We couldn't finish all of our fries.

Owner/operator Sharie loudly and enthusiastically sings the "Weenie Song" often, and we got to hear it several times while we were there (it is still in my head now). I think she sings it whenever a buck or two is put in the tip jar. It is worth it!

We each had a 2 hot dog, fries, and drink lunch and we shared a shake. Even with a couple dollar tip we spent under $20, which, in my books, is a great value.

When we travel, we usually don't go too far out of the way for food. I like to see the parks, museums, etc. Dining places are a bit secondary. Hillbilly Hot Dogs is the exception- this place should be on every travelers "places to go" list.

Hillbilly Hot Dogs is the real deal. For value, food quality, and atmosphere, the place gets a 10 in all categories. Owner's Sonny and Sharie have put their hearts into putting a great, one of a kind place together. If you are near Huntington allow some time to drive just a little bit out and check out this place!


http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/

2 comments:

Nostalgia Kinky said...

Man this place looks AWESOME. I really need to get up there.

jimerado said...

Thanks for the comment Jeremy! Yes, this is a very cool place, and worth a road trip!