Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Dayton Ohio National Museum of the US Air Force











One of my all time favorite places to visit in the Ohio/Kentucky area is easily the Museum at the Wright-Patterson Air Force base.


If you have never been to this amazing museum, make some plans. I know I use the phrase "overwhelming" excessively, but this place truly is.


In fact, I can't even really give an idea of just how overwhelming it is. The areas where the aircraft are displayed, in the hangers, are huge. Think of your high school gym, then multiply that by a lot. Then, visualize a bunch of aircraft filling the rooms.


There are several of these rooms devoted to the major wars. In fact, on my last visit, I had to skip WWII simply because of time. You can easily spend days at this museum. Even those people casually interested in flight or the Air Force can easily spend a full day here.


Some of my favorite's here are the stealth, the space exploration exhibit, and the IMax theater. Speaking of space travel, I know the museum is hoping to be a winner in the upcoming competition to get one of the retired space shuttles! This is very exciting.


I know I have written about this place before, and I will again. It is simply that amazing. Another benefit that don't think the average road tripper gets is that this place is affordable. VERY affordable. Admission is free. The price for the I-Max movie is comparable to others. I think they have a very nice cafeteria, with below average prices.

The gift shop is great too. Sure, there are some high end items, but there are some great, cheap items. Postcards, which I love, are ten cents each!


Anyway, I am sure I will have more pictures up soon. I find myself here a time or two a year.

No comments: